As hosts, Iceland is allowed to send 2-3 teams in both sections, depending on if the total number of teams registered is an even or odd number. Currently there are 34 teams registered in the Open section, which means Iceland can register two teams.
Playing for Iceland is a selection of the current best and highest rated players accompanied by the Legends, consisting of world-renowned Grand masters topped by an appearance by GM Fridrik Olafsson, a legendary player and formerly one of the best in the world. He played all the great legends of the last century, e.g. Bobby Fischer, Mikhail Tal and Miguel Najdorf to name only a few. His last and only ETCC participation was in 1983.
Playing with GM Olafsson are four of Iceland’s best known players, known as the “fjórmenningarklíka” an Icelandic word that could be translated as “the famous four”, a nickname that was coined for the reason they usually played and traveled together.
Leading the Open team is GM Hannes Hlífar Stefánsson (2602), a 12 time Icelandic Champion. Playing on the 2nd board is the current Icelandic Chess Champion, GM Héðinn Steingrímsson, who is also the rapid and blitz Champion!
Leading the Women team is WGM Lenka Ptácníková (2228), a two-time Nordic Woman’s Chess Champion and many times Icelandic Woman’s Chess Champion.
The Open Team
- GM Hannes Hlífar Stefánsson (2602)
- GM Héðinn Steingrímsson (2566)
- GM Hjörvar Steinn Grétarsson (2561)
- GM Henrik Danielsen (2509)
- IM Guðmundur Kjartansson (2465)
Captain: FM Ingvar Þór Jóhannesson
- GM Helgi Ólafsson (2549)
- GM Jóhann Hjartarsson (2529)
- GM Jón L. Árnason (2497)
- GM Margeir Pétursson (2520)
- GM Friðrik Ólafsson (2392)
Captain: FM Halldór Grétar Einarsson
The Woman Team
- WGM Lenka Ptácníková (2228)
- Elsa María Kristínardóttir (1896)
- WFM Guðlaug Þorsteinsdóttir (1955)
- Hrund Hauksdóttir (1773)
- Veronika Steinunn Magnúsdóttir (1773)
Captain: IM Einar Hjalti Jensson